This site has not been maintained for years; For an up-to-date site, click here.
For the Hebrew version of this page, click
A Site of El-Mar Software Ltd.
El-Mar Software Ltd, of Kfar Saba, Israel, is currently
in the Beta stage of a revolutionary tool for X
developers, administrators and software localizers, based
on original innovations. This tool resolves some
crucial issues in the X technology, which could be
decisive in the looming X vs. NT controversy.
In order to reap the best benefits from this technology
for the X industry as a whole, Xplorer's run time library
(libXtra) should be implemented as part of the standard
operating-system / X libraries.
Xplorer is basically a GUI manipulating tool, which can
work . It can be thought of as
a superset of a combination of the following: "editres",
a full GUI builder/modifier, and WCL. It performs "real
time" modifications of ANY resource in the GUI hierarchy,
thereby allowing unlimited access to the "innards" of an
application. This is achieved by two components:
El-Mar Software is known in Israel for its Hebrew and
Arabic support for X-Windows and Motif, which was adopted
by most of the vendors, including Sun, HP, Silicon-
Graphics, and many others. There is no need to recompile
applications in order to make them Hebrew, because the
additional features and resources were added without any
change to the internal data structures of the widget
classes and the widget instances.
- The Xplorer X client, which is the developer's interface.
- libXtra which is a slight extension of libXt, and
replaces it. This is done by relinking the application,
or using LD_LIBRARAY_PATH, or using a tool which can
replace a string in the binary file (e.g. a reference
to /usr/lib/X11R5/libXt.sl) by another string (e.g. a
reference to our /usr/Xtra/lib/libXt.sl).
In addition, distributers of software packages are
assisted by El-Mar in localizing their products. Some of
them, including distributers of leading UNIX products
(such as Oracle, Tivoli, etc.) do not have access to the
source code, and Xplorer allows them to localize the
software without it. The new `hot' field of our activity
is localization of Internet tools, especially WWW
browsers and editors (Mosaic, Netscape, WebForce).
In order to have all the 'goodies' detailed in the
following page, we hacked some smart tricks into the
code. We can not expose them, but we are sure that the
features list will be sufficiet for you to be convinced
in the revolution which is enabled by our tool.
Highlights of Xplorer Unique Features (Technical Description):
- Resources can be permanently changed in existing
applications, , but with no
change to binary files. For example if in the C code
XtVaCreateManagedWidget ("close", xmPushButtonWidgetClass, ap,
XmNlabelString, "Close", NULL);
it can be overriden by the following ".Xvalues.spanish"
- Support for GetValues (current values of resources),
even in cases where it was formerly impossible, such as
colors, custom types and custom converters, XmRWidget,
- Automatic support for subresources (such as XmNfontList
of XmText), just as with normal resources.
- An appropriate editor is popped-up for every resource
type: color, fonts, enums, etc. This feature is user-
- All the current widget-classes become extensible, one
may add new resources to them, without changing the
data structure of the widget class or the widget
- All the existing widget classes are extended with new
features, like XmNmanaged, XmNwidgetClass (the class of
the widget can be changed), XmNxtraChildren (which can
be used to add new children to a widget), etc.
- No need for any change in source code (no
XtAddEventHandler...), or for recompilation, or for
libXmu. There is no collision with "editres", nor with
- Widget-set independence (automatic support for any
widget set, such as libXaw)..
- Reverse-engineering of the entire user-interface is
possible. However, it is possible to block access to
- Save/Load/Restore facility of resource values
(excluding callbacks, etc.).
- Translation and localization.
- Rapid development of setup tools for X based applications.
- A customization tool for system administrators.
- Software development tool:
- GUI Builder - can work with any existing(!) application:
- Developed by Xplorer.
- Deveoped using any other GUI builder.
- Developed in straight C, C++, etc.
- In machine code (no source!).
- Can modify existing components that were not developed
using Xplorer, e.g. widgets in binary code.
- Interactive debugging aide - you can test various
resource configurations in "real time".
- Reverse engineering of application GUI (blockable).
- Save/Load/Restore of widget resources.
For further information please contact Eli Marmor of
e-mail (preferable): firstname.lastname@example.org
Generated by CAWABANGA!
- Computer Aided Web Administration; Browsing, And Navigating GAteway - on Jul 27, 1999.
© Copyright. All rights reserved to Eli Marmor